Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Baby Story

Ok at the risk of confirming that my only 4 readers have put me in the dead blog pile... I decided to forgo a nap to update the happenings of the last 4 weeks...

First and foremost, SJP finally made a grand entrance into the world on April 26th 2009. Did I call that or what?!?!

My Childbirth experience was possibly not the most unique of them all but it certainly was memorable. During my 39th week appointment, I begged asked my doctor to give me a "get out of work" note on the grounds of massive exhaustion and swollen tootsies. Unfortunately, those are not deemed medical enough to actually merit a note. Fortunately, high blood pressure does. Not 2 minutes after my doctor was giving me his ethic schpiel (sp?) does the nurse announce that my pressure is sky high and demands I lay on my left side. Needless, to say I left the office not only with coveted note in hand but less a few vials of blood and plus an empty jug with instruction on how to go about peeing in it for 24 hours.

After calling the office, my sister (to make plans to make a much needed Babies R Us run the next day) and my hubby to let him know the happenings of the day... I realized that the instructions my doctor gave me and the directions provided by the lab were somewhat different. Instead of beginning my 24 hours that day into the next, I had to wait until the next morning to begin the process which meant that I would have to bring the jug with me on the shopping trip. NOT FUN! Of course I could have cancelled but like I said it was much needed and I had to take advantage that my sister was off and she had the car. =)

Anyway, back to the story at hand...

Well remember when I said that I thought she'd be as impatient to get out as I was... well that was helped along by my ENTIRE family who kept "coaching" her to come on the Sunday after my mom gets back from her trip to the Equator and before my sis goes to the same destination so they can all be there for the birth. I was a definite naysayer but lo and behold my water broke at 8 AM on April 26th.

After being rushed to the hospital by my sister and my brother in law (the hubby and I are what you call vehicularly challenged), I was in more pain than I ever felt in my life. Not to mention the fact that I was completely panicking before well that's what I do when I'm in pain. My plan of being drugged from the gate was overruled by the doctor who told me it was a bit too early since I was only about 3 cm and they prefer to wait until I'm at least 4 cm which shouldn't be too long. I complied but was not happy at all since I not only was in labor but I had what they call BACK labor in which the pain is centralized in your back area which was horrible because there was no way to get comfortable which made me very CRABBY!

The hubby was awesome though... He rubbed my back during contractions often at the risk of me pinching, biting or causing some type of pain. Hey! At least I didn't scream how much I hated him or anything. That was saved for the resident who had to stick countless things in my hoohaa but did it as painfully as possible (or at least I thought at the time). After a particularly loud encounter she relayed to me that she is going to throw the 4 cm rule to the wind and order the epidural. Was it something I said?

Oops Baby Waking up... To be continued... soon I promise.

Before the epidural...


After the epidural...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG OMG OMG I want MORE lol! Nolan's early arrival didn't shock us either, he was born on the 23rd of April and I knew it was going to happen when I woke up and read that someone had tweeted "Today is Shakespeare's birthday". Luckily I had an OB appointment and was already right near my hospital downtown...and I avoided the full out labor part, I was in active labor but they pulled him out before my water could break because he was breech but I LOVED LOVED LOVED the spinal epidural thing, it was awesome beyond belief.

I can't wait for you to continue! I wanna see pictures of one of Nolan's future girlfriends (apparently he has like 4 lol)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I can't believe SJP made it here alive and well. Those pictures say a thousand words.

Can't wait to hear more!!!

Anonymous said...

AW, congrats! I hope we get to hear more soon and see pictures of the little one!